Legends and Beyond
Legendary figures like Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, and historic figures from the Apache Tribe such as Cochise and Geronimo. They all lived in what is now called Cochise County, and each left a unique mark in the history of the American West. Today you can walk where these legends walked! Ways to enjoy Cochise County history:
- See reenactments of Wyatt Earp’s famous shootout at the O.K. Corral and learn the real story
- Tour inside the rich silver and copper mines of Bisbee and Tombstone
- Hike in Cochise Stronghold, the mountainous area where Cochise and his men hid from the cavalry
- Picnic at Slaughter Ranch and tour the home of Cochise County’s first sheriff: John Slaughter
- Learn about the revered Buffalo Soldiers, who fought valiantly in military campaigns
- Discover Kartchner Caverns State Park, a legendary cave formed over millions of years… and it’s still growing!
- Trace the footsteps of the Coronado, who crossed into Arizona looking for the Seven Cities of Gold
See how the County has grown from the Wild Wild West to the eclectic combination of growing communities it is today - with each city providing a unique contribution to the County's awesome experiences.
- See towering, balancing rocks, cool canyons, and vast blue skies
- Hike our National Memorial, National Moument or National Park
- Shop our two farmer's markets, plus many galleries, antique stores and trinket shops
- Learn about petroglyphs, ghost stories, and Native American anthropological & archaeological research
- Discover 14 varities of hummingbirds, and birding hotspots with sightings of over 400 birds
- Savor medal-winning wines from 25+ nearby wine tasting rooms and fun brews from two microbreweries
- Enjoy 25+ local and international restaurants
Use our Activity Planner link to plan your trip!